started as a commercial village due to its strategic location between commonly used transportation crossroads. The Langhorne community, to be precise, started right where two Lenni-Lenape paths crossed, and since then, has grown in prominence, overcoming different challenges that arose since the 18th century.
By the 1720s, the Indian paths had developed and been renamed to Bellevue and Maple avenues. It is during that time that English and Dutch colonialists began settling on the north side of the intersection.
Joseph Richardson arrived, and by the 1730s, he had established a store at the north-west side. By 1738, Richardson had erected his house on the south-west side, which forced him to move his store to the new location. The store acted as an inn for guests and investors who decided to relocate to the town.
The strategic location of Richardson's store, combined with the traffic along the intersection, attracted settlers and small businesses to the area, more so during the late 18th century to early 19th century. During the historic American revolution, the land in the southeast Langhorne was recovered from Gilbert Hicks, a well-known loyalist.
The recovered land was then divided into manageable small plots and later renamed to 'Washington Village' in honor of George Washington. Washington village was occupied by the end of the 18th century and acted as a catalyst for growth in Langhorne. By the mid-nineteenth century, several houses and businesses were set up along Maple and Bellevue Avenues.
By as early as 1760, businesses were set up in Langhorne to serve travelers commuting between Trenton and Philadelphia. Langhorne acted as an important location for people as they could buy foodstuffs between travel and even sleep at the inns in preparation for travel the next day.
Langhorne held its position as a leading travelers` stopover point until 1870 when railroads became the principle and preferred mode of transportation across Bucks County.
Langhorne as a Heritage Town
Did you know that Joseph Richardson's store was among the first stores in Bucks county? Interestingly, no stores existed in Newton until late 1772. The rapid growth of Langhorne, mainly due to its strategic location, established the town as an important center for farmers residing between Hulmeville and Newtown.
By the 1870s, wealthy Philadelphia entrepreneurs had flocked the town and set up large homes along the West Maple and South Bellevue avenues.
Langhorne played a vital part in American history as it acted as a station in the railway that connected New York and Princeton. Until 1876, the land was known as Attleboro before it was renamed to Langhorne, in honor of an early resident Chief-Justice of Pennsylvania's Supreme Court.
There is a large farm in Langhorne Borough that was owned by Mr. Edward Vogenberger and his wife until their death in early 1976. The land is now owned by the Borough of Langhorne and is available for community gatherings and garden plots.
A Revolutionary Cemetery is also located at Flowers Avenue and South Bellevue Avenue in honor of American soldiers who lost their lives during the Revolutionary war.
Next: Langhorne PA Resources